Brian C. Hewitt,
Brian is a luminary in the field of trust and estate litigation and mediation.
Brian is a highly respected trust and estate litigator who has practiced in Indiana for more than three decades, describing himself as a “specialized generalist” because of his diverse areas of expertise. Named to the distinguished list of Indiana Super Lawyers every year since 2009, Brian has represented financial institutions and other fiduciaries in some of the state’s most high-profile cases, including the estates of Indianapolis Colts owner Robert Irsay and commercial property mogul Melvin Simon.
Brian is an accomplished litigator, but his first and greatest love is mediation. He relishes the opportunity to resolve a complex legal situation in just a single day—and to help the people involved avoid expensive, messy, and emotionally draining litigation. Brian’s colleagues will tell you that he has an unbelievable gift for understanding people’s needs and charting a course that allows both sides to leave mediation feeling satisfied. His track record will tell you the same: he has settled nearly 1,000 trust and estate cases and hundreds of real estate, commercial, and professional malpractice cases, with a success rate of more than 90 percent.
Brian is a frequent speaker and author on important topics related to trust and estate mediation and litigation, giving regular presentations to the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), the Indiana State Bar Association, and the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum. As a recognized expert in the field of trust and estate law, he is regularly asked to consult or testify as an expert witness in cases involving trusts, estates, commercial law, malpractice, and civil procedure.
Outside the office, Brian writes music for voice and guitar and is an avid supporter of the Indianapolis Children’s Choir, where two of his children sang for many years. He and his wife, Veronica, are active members of Resurrection Lutheran Church.
- Indiana University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 1983
- Purdue University, B.A., 1980, with highest distinction
+ Awards and Affiliations
- Indiana Super Lawyers, Top 50 Attorney
- Registered Civil Mediator
- Certified Indiana Trust and Estate Lawyer by the Trust and Estate Specialty Board
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Fiduciary Litigation Committee, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Past President, Johnson County Indiana Bar Association
- Past Chair, Estate Planning and Administration section, Indianapolis Bar Association
- Forrest E. Jump Scholar, 1980–83
- Eugene C. Pulliam Scholarship for Journalism, 1979
+ Litigation Practice Areas
- Estate, trust, and guardianship administration and litigation
- Estate, trust, and tax planning
- Commercial and civil litigation
- Business planning and representation
- Financial institution representation
+ Mediation Practice Areas
- Estate, trust, and guardianship
- Business and commercial
- Professional negligence and malpractice
- Real estate
+ Expert Witness Practice Areas
- Trust and estate
- Attorney negligence and malpractice
- Commercial law
Reach Brian directly by dialing 317.922.2840.