mark R. galliher,
Mark is a deeply experienced commercial litigator—and one of the most passionate lawyers you’ll ever meet.
Mark Galliher has more than 30 years of experience as a commercial litigator, handling areas that require highly specific and sophisticated expertise, such as bankruptcy, title insurance, and real estate. He has practiced extensively in Indiana state and federal courts, including arguing and briefing cases to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the Indiana Supreme Court and Court of Appeals.
Mark’s long list of significant cases includes decisions extending fraudulent conveyance law, modernizing the law governing implied easements, establishing the correct interpretation of a new safe-harbor statute for defectively notarized mortgages, clarifying Indiana law as to the use of a “dragnet” mortgage to secure previously unsecured claims, and correcting a ruling that threatened the remedy of strict foreclosure. He’s a frequent lecturer on issues related to bankruptcy and title law.
Although Mark’s expertise is highly technical, his practice of the law is rooted in passionate advocacy for the people he represents. He loves to immerse himself in the problem at hand and figure out a way to resolve it so that his clients can rest easier—in fact, fixing bad situations for good people is the main reason he stuck with the law as a career. (Brian Hewitt, by the way, says Mark is one of the most passionate and tenacious lawyers he’s had the good fortune to know.)
Mark lives in Indianapolis with his wife Jane, has four adult children, and a new grandson. Mark is an active member of Saints Constantine and Elena Orthodox Church.
- Indiana University Law School–Indianapolis, J.D., 1983, cum laude
- Wabash College, B.A., Latin, 1979, magna cum laude
- Admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, United States District Courts for Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana, and Indiana State Courts
- Law Clerk, Hon. James B. Young, Indiana Court of Appeals
- Staff Attorney, Hon. Nicholas Sufana, U.S. Bankruptcy Court
+ Awards and Affiliations
- Rated AV/Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Forrest E. Jump Scholar, 1980–83
- Associate Editor, Indiana Law Review
+ Practice Areas
- Bankruptcy litigation
- Title insurance and real estate disputes
- Estate, trust, and guardianship litigation
- Real estate, business law, and commercial litigation
- General civil litigation
Reach Mark directly by dialing 317.922.2842.